Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Satisfied with Good

I was thinking about how radically my diet has changed over the years. Growing up TV dinners were the new thing and Twinkies and Hostess Cupcakes were standard lunch bag fare. My adorable little Greek grandmother would treat my brother and me with a breakfast of "paporakia" which is the Greek word for little boats. She'd make her cup of coffee with 2 or 3 teaspoons of sugar and lots of heavy cream. Then she would cut the "little boats" from crusty Italian bread, slather them with butter and float them on her coffee before giving this treat to us. Mmmm - I can almost taste them! Sometimes I'm amazed I'm still here and do not doubt for a moment it is only by God's grace.

When I was in my 20's besides going out with the girls several times a week, every Saturday my brother and I (and later my husband completed the trio) would buy a half gallon of ice cream - each - usually Baskin Robbins - Amaretto Cheesecake was my favorite - and gorge ourselves.

As time has passed and I got pregnant and realized the importance of my diet, if for no other reason than to provide the proper nourishment for my babies, I began to gradually improve my diet. Keep in mind that while I never smoked or did drugs and actually took vitamins daily, my understanding of nutrition was woefully lacking.

But God is gracious and as I educated myself, first in order to raise healthy children, and then of course to keep myself and my husband healthy and energetic enough to keep up with those healthy children, I began to look at food differently. I have always been what you might refer to as a "foodie." I love food - love to cook it, bake it, plan meals and serve it. Just love it period. I began to see it as fuel.

My nutritional metamorphosis took me to the carb craze. There was a period of time (in the '80's) when meat, protein and fat were the enemy and pasta and grains and vegetables were king. I was able to eat primarily pasta (and not the whole grain kind either) and vegetables and maintain a healthy weight and stay remarkably healthy. I have always preferred those foods and really didn't much enjoy chicken or burgers or meat. When presented with the choice, I would always choose the pasta dish.

Around the time I turned 40 I noticed that even though I still worked out just as hard, and didn't eat any more, I began putting weight on. Increasing my workout schedule didn't help. I figured it had something to do with hormones and entering the perimenopause phase of life. By this time I had been seriously studying nutrition and natural health and supplements for many years. I realized I had to begin to increase my intake of protein and limit the carbs if I wanted to remain strong, fit and healthy.

Well, I really thought having eggs and lean meat, poultry or fish at every meal was going to be a monumental task. To my great surprise, it was just the opposite! I never realized how delicious eggs were and now prefer them to cereal or a bagel with peanut butter (my old favorite breakfast). I thoroughly enjoy baked chicken and turkey thighs, sardines and wild caught salmon. I can't believe I didn't think I liked those things. Actually I didn't like them. However, by God's grace, He gradually changed my thinking and gave me the desire for these things. I look forward to my meals and enjoy them as much or more than my old way of eating.

I pray Psalm 103:5 this way in thanksgiving to God for not only always knowing best, but also knowing how to get me to see it as well:
Thank You Lord that You satisfy my mouth with good things, not only my necessary food, but the kind of food I desire at my personal age, so my youth is renewed with strength like the eagle's - overcoming and soaring!

And He has - and He can for you too - if you allow Him to.

No comments: