Monday, March 9, 2009

On Purpose

Every single one of us was born with a specific purpose we are to fulfill with our lives. We have all the gifts and talents we need to do it and as we trust God and step out in faith, one step at a time, we receive the wisdom we need and God brings the right people and opportunities before us. Of course, we must be operating in faith - believing He is doing so.

Each purpose is a little different, yet there is one basic underlying purpose for each of us as Christians. For example, if you are a doctor your purpose is to heal people. If you are a teacher you are to inspire a thirst and love for learning. If you are a husband, you are to protect and provide for your wife and family. If you are a wife, you are to support and encourage your husband. If you are a mother, raising stable, secure, successful children who know, love and live for God is your purpose. You get the idea.

As a Christian, the foundation of the Christian life for each of us is to know, love, honor and glorify God with our lives. There's a specific part of that purpose I want to focus on. We carry the very power and presence of God's Holy Spirit within us. We have the ability and the responsibility to carry His love, grace, mercy and blessing with us into each and every situation we encounter.

We are to represent Him, be imitators of Him and be His ambassadors to our world. Every person we meet, every situation and circumstance we are faced with should be improved simply because they encountered God in us! To me, that is an awesome thought. I can inspire real hope and encouragement by sharing my faith. I can offer real, practical comfort and support to someone who is frightened, discouraged or facing difficulties.

My goal each day is to sow good seed into someone's life; to improve a situation or circumstance simply by my presence and prayers. My determined purpose is that no matter where I go today, who crosses my path or what I do - I will prayerfully bring blessing and the situation will improve or the person will be encouraged and lifted up. That is my basic purpose for each day - everything else flows from that. How about you? What are you doing - on purpose?

No comments: