Monday, December 1, 2008

Real Self-Esteem

For something to have real value to us, it has to cost us something. If someone gives you an expensive item as a gift, you may treasure it, but it won't have the same value to you as something you worked, planned and sacrificed for. That is just a basic part of human nature.
The accomplishments that mean the most to us are those that we've put the most "sweat equity" into.

As a mom, the sacrifice (of time, energy, money, sleep) I have put into raising my children has yielded the most valuable result - three wonderful human beings. Has it always been easy? No. Have there been days when I had to force myself to get up and do whatever it was I had to for them? Yes! Have there been times I have been discouraged? Yes. Would I do it all over again? Without hesitation, question or a single doubt -YES!

You can take every piece of jewelry I own. There are pieces that belonged to my mom and have great sentimental value. There are pieces my husband has given to me that mean a great deal to me. You can take them all. You can take every penny and possession and truly I would still have what is most valuable in my sight - my children.

God feels the very same way about each of us. That concept is sometimes very difficult to really understand and accept. Sometimes we have to get personal before we can understand just how valuable we are to Him at a "gut level."

Look at the vast universe He has created. We've only scratched the surface of understanding it, yet it cost Him nothing to create it. He spoke and the worlds were formed. What is seen was created from what was unseen.

However, it cost Him everything to create you and me - His earthly family. He had to sacrifice His perfect, only begotten Son. I have two sons whom I love more than life itself. No matter how much I love you - I can't imagine sacrificing one of them for you, so you should probably be very grateful I am not God!

He did more than imagine it - He did it. That's how valuable you are to Him. If He esteems you that highly, who are you to disagree?

No comments: