Monday, September 14, 2009

Affectionate Care

I was blessed to be able to spend a week with my oldest son, who came home for a few days off. We walked the Newburgh-Beacon bridge together, staying in shape and also discussing websites and writing and other things he and I particularly have in common. It was such a wonderful time and I enjoyed every minute I was able to spend with him. I really appreciate that a 24 year old young man would spend a few of his vacation days at home with his family. That is not something you hear too often and I know just how fortunate his dad and I are that our kids enjoy being here.

We went to the Middletown Galleria on Labor Day as Chris had several gift cards he wanted to use to purchase some clothes for work. We enjoyed walking around and looking at the sales. He found several beautiful sweaters that were on sale for 50% off and after trying them on went to pay. I decided to wait out in the mall while he did. It was taking an awfully long time as he was the only one at the cash register when I left him there so I went in to see what was taking so long.

Evidently there was a problem with the gift card. As it was issued by American Express as a reward for money he'd already spent, the manager was on the phone with AE to get it straightened out. After another 15 minutes or so Chris came out with his sweaters. I asked what happened and he explained that the representative on the phone insisted on speaking directly to him and admitted that it was a problem on their end with the card but refused to authorize Chris's purchase, instead saying he would send him another gift card. Chris explained that this was unacceptable since this was a sale and a card sent to his apartment wouldn't help him today. The person didn't get it and refused to authorize the purchase. Chris was prepared to tell the manager that since that was the case he could not purchase the sweaters. But she told him she'd take care of it and he walked out with the sweaters and another $50 gift card being mailed to his apartment.

Later that day we walked the bridge and he made such a wonderful comment to me. He said that in the scheme of things, the sweaters on sale and gift card problem was such a small, unimportant thing - and if God cared about his getting the sweaters and another card, he knew God was on top of the really important things going on in his life like his career and job!

What a wise and insightful young man! I immediately agreed wholeheartedly and 1 Peter 5:7 in the Amplified came to mind: Casting the whole of your care (all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all) on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully.

It brought that scripture to life for me in a very real way as I could imagine our loving Heavenly Father saying, "I know how hard Chris works and he is such a good steward of his resources - I want him to have these sweaters."

That may sound silly to you - but it is so getting back to basics - God is good - all the time - and He cares about everything that concerns me - even what others might consider unimportant. If it's important at all to me - it's important to Him!

No comments: